Community Senior Services is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization that provides a broad array of programs, services, and support for older adults, caregivers, and others interested in enhancing aging services in our community. Well into our fourth decade of service, we play a unique role as a convener, information resource and collaborator on senior issues throughout the Inland, Pomona and East San Gabriel Valleys. Community Senior Services is recognized for its multi-community scope and service area. We work in concert with a range of community leaders, social, healthcare, city and county organizations, businesses and service providers whose collaborative engagement is essential to meet the needs of the burgeoning senior population.
Programs and services currently provided by Community Senior Services include:
- Change a Life Foundation grant facilitation
- Community Connections
- The Enrichment Center Adult Day Program
- Family Caregiver Support Program
- Foothill Communities RSVP
- Get About
- REAL Connections
- Senior Companion Program
- Senior Help Line
- Senior Resource Directory
We invite you to learn more by going to Programs + Services.
MISSION, VISION + FUTURE
In 2008, Community Senior Services embarked on a rigorous strategic planning initiative. Through this process we acknowledged past accomplishments, evaluated organizational capabilities and identified evolving opportunities. The strategic planning effort enabled Community Senior Services to refocus our Mission and clearly define a preferred Vision for our future.
To support and educate adults and their families to maintain independence and to age well at home and in the community.
A society that embraces aging and empowers independence in later life.
OUR SERVICE AREA
Community Senior Services serves the West San Gabriel Valley and adjacent San Bernardino County communities of:
- Chino Hills
- Diamond Bar
- La Verne
- Rancho Cucamonga
- San Dimas
- West Covina
We strive to serve the growing and diverse needs of our broad community; however, funding and other program requirements may limit our ability to provide some programs in some areas.
HISTORY + MILESTONES
- Dedicated to enriching the lives and promoting the well-being of senior citizens, Pomona Valley Community Services, dba Community Senior Services, was established in 1975 and incorporated the following year by a group of caring and concerned citizens and organizations.
- The organization launched the nation’s first multi-city dial-a-ride program in 1976. From its humble beginning with a borrowed van and volunteer drivers, Get About transportation now provides nearly 130,000 rides and travels nearly a half-million miles annually. Get About is offered by Community Senior Services in partnership with the Pomona Valley Transit Authority (PVTA).
- In the 1980s, the role of Community Senior Services significantly expanded with federal funding for two vital programs that continue to this day. One offers support and companionship to frail and isolated seniors, while the other connects active older adults to volunteer opportunities that facilitate meaningful personal and community engagement.
- During the 1990s, Community Senior Services worked with Pilgrim Place, Inter Valley Health Plan and the California Community Foundation to create a special place for adult day services. We also began a diverse array of programs ranging from foster grand parenting, and senior employment, to a senior resource directory, information and referral line and network of senior-oriented businesses. Many of these programs remain active, helping to cement Community Senior Services as the ‘go-to’ organization for seniors, families, and the community.
- The new Millennium ushered in programs aimed at providing caregiver support, as well as a partnership with a generous foundation dedicated to helping senior get access to critically needed assistance.
- More recently, we partnered again with PVTA in 2011 to secure federal and county funding for an innovative volunteer driver program. Our newest program, REAL Connections, launched in July 2012 and underscores our desire to innovate and proactively evolve to address the needs of older adults in our community.
- Well into our fourth decade of service, Community Senior Services has developed and effectively implemented a wide variety of programs and services designed to promote self-sufficiency, independence and quality of life for the aging population. (See Programs + Services)
An Intentional Future
As Community Senior Services works to advance the organization’s mission and vision, a set of practical and philosophical principles guide us.
Specifically it is the intention of Community Senior Services to:
- Stimulate interdisciplinary and inter-community collaboration and problem-solving to proactively identify and meet needs of seniors and their families. We will offer, but not necessarily own, programs and services delivered in the community.
- Focus our energies and resources in the West San Gabriel Valley and adjacent San Bernardino County communities, selectively growing into other areas where there are identified needs that align with our Mission and capabilities
- Become a trusted, respected clearinghouse/concierge for individuals, communities, organizations, businesses and others seeking knowledge and assistance concerning age-related issues and services.
- Identify innovative models and opportunities to effectively meet the senior service needs of communities, older adults, caregivers and employers.
- Be actively engaged with cities and counties in support of local senior centers and providers.
- Act as a catalyst, convener and partner of professional and community organizations, offering programs and services that enhance their capabilities to address community needs.
- Achieve demonstrated recognition, support and goodwill by being highly visible and approachable in our community.
- Be known as an organization where teamwork is valued and our people are dynamic, challenged, highly productive, intellectually curious, entrepreneurial, and passionate about our purpose.
- Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to our customers, respecting their dignity and privacy while helping them to maintain independence and quality of life.
- Consistently have outstanding people, strong board and staff leadership and superior quality programs delivered with compassion and efficiency–all working together to produce a bottom line that enables the organization to live our not-for-profit mission.